You’re based in any part of the world and operate a business in the United States!
It will be an exciting opportunity, but as a non-resident, you have to do some additional steps than a US resident.
But with a piece of proper knowledge or with the help of professional service, this will become easier for you. Similarly, this guide will help you get your EIN without an SSN to form your business.
How To Apply For An EIN Without An SSN?
- 1 What is an EIN?
- 2 When Do You Need an EIN?
- 3 What is the Difference Between EIN and SSN?
- 4 Can You Get an EIN as a Non-U.S?
- 5 Can You Get an EIN Without an SSN?
- 6 How Long Does it Take to Get an EIN Without an SSN?
- 7 How to Apply for an EIN Without an SSN?
- 8 Conclusion
What is an EIN?
An EIN stands for Employer Identification Number, a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service for tax identification purposes.
It is also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number or Federal Tax Identification Number.
When Do You Need an EIN?
If you are operating a business in the United States, you need an EIN for various purposes. Some of them are:
- To hire employees and workers.
- Opening a separate business bank account for your company.
- To offer a Keogh plan (also known as a retirement plan).
- To get Sales Tax Permit and other Business Licences.
- To Filing various tax returns such as Alcohol, Employment, Excise, Firearms, and Tobacco for your business.
- To create your account on different online platforms such as Amazon FBA, eBay, Paypal, Shopify, Stripe, etc.
- If your business operates as a partnership or corporation.
- If your business is part of these business types, such as cooperatives, real estate, non-profits, and trusts.
What is the Difference Between EIN and SSN?
Many foreigners think there is no difference between EIN and SSN, but this is not true because both work differently.
For a business, an EIN is the same as a Social Security number. Tax filings for your personal income tax are tracked by your Social Security number, just as your EIN is used to track your business filings.
Can You Get an EIN as a Non-U.S?
It is the most common misconception among Non-US residents that they cannot launch their business in the United States, but it is not true. As a non-resident, you can start your business in the United States and also get your EIN easily without any hassle.
Can You Get an EIN Without an SSN?
The misconception among Non-US residents is that you cannot get your EIN without an SSN. There is no truth in this; you can easily acquire an EIN without an SSN.
Yes, if you apply for your EIN using a Social Security Number or your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, you will get your EIN instantly.
However, you can still get an EIN without an SSN by following some steps to fill out the SS-4 form. This process may take a short time, about three to four weeks.
How Long Does it Take to Get an EIN Without an SSN?
How long it takes to get your EIN depends on your situation and your method of getting your EIN.
For example, If you are using your ITIN to get an EIN, you will get your EIN instantly, but if you are applying for your EIN yourself or applying with the help of an attorney, it may take you more time because of the paperwork you’ll need to do. Three to four weeks is the average.
How to Apply for an EIN Without an SSN?
Here are three ways to apply for an EIN without an SSN:
- Applying for an EIN with ITIN
- Applying for EIN without an SSN Yourself
- Applying for EIN with the help of an Attorney
Applying for an EIN with ITIN
If you do not have an SSN or are not eligible for an SSN, you can apply for an EIN with your ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
To apply for an EIN with this process, you must have your ITIN. If you do not have your ITIN yet, read this guide How to Apply for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number As A Non-Resident.
By the way, applying for an EIN with ITIN is straightforward.
We’ve found that 7 out of 10 individuals who apply for ITINs on their own are rejected.
This is why I strongly recommend you seek the help of an attorney when applying for your ITIN.
Applying for EIN without an SSN Yourself
If you do not have an SSN and ITIN and do not want to get the help of an attorney, then you can apply for your EIN by yourself.
It is not possible to apply for an EIN online, but you can do so by using IRS form SS-4. You can also apply for your EIN by phone, mail, and fax.
Here are the details:
- Call 267-941-1099 to apply for an EIN
- Mail SS-4 to Internal Revenue Service, Attn: EIN International Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999
- Fax your SS-4 Form to 304-707-9471
Applying for EIN with the help of an Attorney
It is the most recommended and best way to apply for an EIN without an SSN.
Because most of the people applying for EIN are ordinary business people who are not familiar with the rules of IRS.
So it is a good idea to get the help of an attorney or a professional service to do this task on your behalf.
There are many services and attorneys available online that can help you get your EIN without an SSN, and Micahguru formation is one of them.
We have an experienced team of attorneys that will handle the SS-4 Form on your behalf and provide your EIN to you without any complication.
This is a step-by-step guide to applying for an EIN without an SSN. I have provided some basic information about EIN, answered some misconceptions about EIN among non-US residents, and mentioned three ways to apply for an EIN without an SSN.